I just got off the phone with Emma's teacher, Jarin. On Thursday at pick up Jarin had mentioned that Emma was doing a puzzle and one of the other kids tried to take it away from her so she started to cry.
They couldn't believe how she cried and how tenderhearted she is. They said they love the cuddles so don't mind that at all. Because it was pick up and it was so busy with all the parents there, I decided to email the teacher to follow up on that incident, just to see if she had any advice on how I can encourage more sharing at home, which always seems like a challenge with Addison and other kids we might get together with.
Jarin called and spoke about Emma and how sweet and adorable she is, how great she's doing at school, always on the move (they couldn't get over how she ran around the playground really sweating, going on the swing, playing in the sandpit - yes the sandpit!!! and popping bubbles), taking interest in every station in the class, coloring so beautifully - using all the colors and talking about the colors, taking out the ABC puzzle, lifting the E and saying E is for Emma. Listening so well and understanding everything - really made me smile to hear all this and so reassuring that Emma is enjoying school until she has to share a toy or wants a toy from another child. They cannot believe she just turned 3 and doing everything that she does.
Jarin said she'll learn, and they encourage expressing themselves with words, so they will be working on that during the school year, also that most kids will snatch or grab when they want something, Emma just cries, which should hopefully get better once she uses her words more.
This made me all teary, but I know it's all about learning and getting used to this new environment.
Jarin also spoke about how confident Emma is, and they could not believe that on the 2nd day she walked into the classroom without looking back. I told her how I wanted to cry and felt unloved - and her comment was, well it just means you're doing something right at home! really??
This touched me and made me happy. There are days when you shout at the kids and regret shouting over spilt milk, when you chose to wash the dishes instead of catching imaginary fish and jumping into the boat (couch) to avoid the shark, just because you want to get the stack of dishes out the way so you don't have to do it later, even though your child is pulling at your ankles to play with her, not just one but two, the other is pulling to be picked up - at the end of the day you wonder did I give the kids enough attention during the day, and were those dishes so important - although probably more important for my sanity.
I know the family is always telling me what a great job I'm doing with the kids and I'm doing my best even though I do feel worn out most days. It's been a tough few months, juggling everything, trying to make sure the kids needs are seen to from feeding to playing, teaching, doing fun activities etc etc just everyday life. Overall hopefully spreading my time out enough to give the kids all the attention and love that they need, but after todays call, I think I am. Today has been an off day, my energy levels are low and have felt like doing nothing. So I think it was just words I needed to hear.
Emma, despite the sensitive soul you are (let's hope that sharing things get easier soonest), I'm so proud of who you are today and what you're still to become! Stay as bright and silly as you are! I'll do my best to be the best mom for you! I love you so much my munch!
No comments:
Post a Comment