Had to think of fun fingerfoods to make...meatballs, fish fingers and tons of veggies.
I finally found a solution that allows me to feed her with a spoon and to eat more than just 4 spoonfuls before I get the NO NO NO (shaking of her head). Besides, adding more rice to the dish - simple solution since we are Asian, and DISTRACTIONS!!
It's great how something in the hand will automatically make the mouth open, or showing her Cookie Monster and how he will eat the food if she doesn't.
The bad thing about giving her things to play with is that Emma's food tray can get mighty full with all the toys/items to keep her busy, the other bad thing is that you can't have anything in sight that she might want to grab, which means practically clearing our kitchen counter and table.
Emma's little finger points to everything, and we get an eh, eh, eh and then a bit of a temper trantrum if she doesn't get what she wants, we try teach her that she can't moan for everything, and that she can't always get what she wants....hmmm....almost seems pointless at this age when she'll carry on moaning and you finally give in just to keep the peace. Am I being weak?
We're already at that stage where we can't eat things or drink things that she can't have just as yet, as she starts asking and pointing for them.
Emma has gone from Little Miss Sunshine to Little Miss Demanding....ai yi yi!
She surely keeps us busy, and now I can't take my eyes off of her, as she's so fast and crawling all over the show these days. I've taught her to climb the stairs, which is great, as it's another activity for her to do, and I make her repeat this a few times a day so to aid with her napping - horrible mom, yes I know, but, whatever works!
Now she heads for the steps whenever she feels so we definitely can't just leave her, I've already turned my back for a second and she was on the third step - happens so quickly.
We purchased a safety gate for the top of the stairs (still to be installed) and have yet to find one for the bottom - but hoping we can get away not getting one?
2 more weeks before Emma's party and we're getting organised. So exciting planning it, although I have to remind myself it's just a small party and she's not going to remember much so don't go all out, save it for later when she can appreciate things more.
Some updates on Emma while I'm at it. Things happen so quickly I don't get the chance to document it all. Plenty of times where I wish I had the camera ready and when you get it out, its hard to get that moment back.
This weekend Rod purchased a paintbrush to paint our outside deck, Emma has not witnessed us painting, yet she grabbed the brush and started painting the wall....how did she know?? future artist??
Today at Walmart I purchased Emma's first toothbrush, when I told her what it was, she brought it to her head and tried brushing her hair - good job Emma, knowing the word brush, but we have to work on the difference between hair and tooth.
She received a balloon today and Emma called it a Ba, just like her Teddy Bear, she calls Ba.
While eating lunch I asked her where her balloon was and she looked toward it and pointed, I then asked where mommy was, she looked at me, then I asked where is Emma, she wasn't too sure what to do, so she looked up.
Yesterday I thought to take Emma to the Kidzone at the Mall, I've been taking her lately as she's mobile and loves watching and interacting with kids. I had to let Rod see her in action and the excitement on her face, he could not get over how she was squealing with excitement and pointing at the kids when I picked her up to see the play area. I took her inside to a not so busy section, she almost jumped out my arms. When I put her down, she was off, pushing her way through the other kids to get to a particular activity toy, a little panick stricken on my part as it was so busy and kids running all over the show. But she loved it.
So much more....but those are the highlights from the past few weeks and days.
Emma is becoming so expressive and it's great that we now know what she wants and doesn't want, likes and doesn't like. Amazing how she'll point at things that catch her eye, like birds flying, or the elephant on a surfboard in a tv commercial (occassionally I let her watch tv while I prepare lunch or dinner). Communication is improving. Although I do miss the times where I could just feed her anything and she'd eat it, give her anything to play with and she'll play with it.....she can make decisions now and we've got to honor them or not.
She surely keeps us busy, and now I can't take my eyes off of her, as she's so fast and crawling all over the show these days. I've taught her to climb the stairs, which is great, as it's another activity for her to do, and I make her repeat this a few times a day so to aid with her napping - horrible mom, yes I know, but, whatever works!
Now she heads for the steps whenever she feels so we definitely can't just leave her, I've already turned my back for a second and she was on the third step - happens so quickly.
We purchased a safety gate for the top of the stairs (still to be installed) and have yet to find one for the bottom - but hoping we can get away not getting one?
2 more weeks before Emma's party and we're getting organised. So exciting planning it, although I have to remind myself it's just a small party and she's not going to remember much so don't go all out, save it for later when she can appreciate things more.
Some updates on Emma while I'm at it. Things happen so quickly I don't get the chance to document it all. Plenty of times where I wish I had the camera ready and when you get it out, its hard to get that moment back.
This weekend Rod purchased a paintbrush to paint our outside deck, Emma has not witnessed us painting, yet she grabbed the brush and started painting the wall....how did she know?? future artist??
Today at Walmart I purchased Emma's first toothbrush, when I told her what it was, she brought it to her head and tried brushing her hair - good job Emma, knowing the word brush, but we have to work on the difference between hair and tooth.
She received a balloon today and Emma called it a Ba, just like her Teddy Bear, she calls Ba.
While eating lunch I asked her where her balloon was and she looked toward it and pointed, I then asked where mommy was, she looked at me, then I asked where is Emma, she wasn't too sure what to do, so she looked up.
Yesterday I thought to take Emma to the Kidzone at the Mall, I've been taking her lately as she's mobile and loves watching and interacting with kids. I had to let Rod see her in action and the excitement on her face, he could not get over how she was squealing with excitement and pointing at the kids when I picked her up to see the play area. I took her inside to a not so busy section, she almost jumped out my arms. When I put her down, she was off, pushing her way through the other kids to get to a particular activity toy, a little panick stricken on my part as it was so busy and kids running all over the show. But she loved it.
So much more....but those are the highlights from the past few weeks and days.
Emma is becoming so expressive and it's great that we now know what she wants and doesn't want, likes and doesn't like. Amazing how she'll point at things that catch her eye, like birds flying, or the elephant on a surfboard in a tv commercial (occassionally I let her watch tv while I prepare lunch or dinner). Communication is improving. Although I do miss the times where I could just feed her anything and she'd eat it, give her anything to play with and she'll play with it.....she can make decisions now and we've got to honor them or not.



No comments:
Post a Comment