Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Charleston Weekend

We thought we'd take Shan on a roadtrip to see another part of the US, and not be cooped up in Raleigh/Durham, so we decided to visit the city of Charleston.  This would be Emma's first road trip too.  Located in South Carolina, about a 5 hour drive from Durham. A small city with so much charm, cute homes, interesting buildings, a great historic downtown. The feel of Charleston for me was a mix between Carolina and New Orleans (even though I’ve never been to New Orleans, just from what I’ve heard or seen in pictures, the wrought iron balconies, swamps and moss type things hanging from trees).


We left early on Friday afternoon and arrived in Charleston in time to go downtown to grab dinner. We got a good feel of the night time buzz while searching the busy roads for parking and a place to eat, we decided on the Charleston Crab House. Saturday we wandered the busy streets of the historic downtown. Very easy to walk by foot, otherwise you can choose to take a horse drawn cart. So many cobbled streets, restaurants, markets, shops and beautiful homes to discover. With so many homes on sale we decided to take a look at the prices of them, expecting to see prices in the region of $400K, more like in the millions…CRAZY!

We ended the day with a drive to Isle of Palm, viewed the beautiful beach homes there and took a walk along the beach. Sunday before heading home, we grabbed some breakfast at Toast, then drove to Folly Beach, it was pretty windy so didn’t spend too much time there. We then took a drive to Kiawah Island, hoping to see the golf course/s there, however only open to residents, so a bit of a waste of a 45 minute drive. But nonetheless we got to see more of South Carolina.

I wasn’t sure what to expect of Charleston. Definitely thought small city with quaint shops, but it was a bit “bigger” and busier than I thought. I was surprised by the high end shopping available, better than what Raleigh/Durham has to offer.  I actually thought I was wondering through a smaller version of New York at times minus the dirty streets. Charleston is very clean.


All the while seeing all of this we almost forgot we had a baby with us. Emma was very easy going, times like this just feel so blessed to have such a happy and content baby. Emma just loved seeing everything. She didn't seem at all phased by the disruption of her schedule, managing well on the little naps she had. After our trip to Orlando in December I’m always hopeful that with little sleep we won’t end up with a cranky baby.
The Waterfront
We just love it when we take one look at Emma, she’ll stop what she’s doing and gives you this wonderful gummy smile, melts our hearts.  The photo above, people walking by couldn't get over how Emma was smiling for the camera. On the drive down to Charleston she couldn’t stop talking, her words have moved on to Ma Ma Ma/Mum Mum Mum – still trying to distinguish. On the way back she managed to catch a lot of Zzzzz’s, catching up from the weekend.


I thought bedtime would be interesting, with all 4 of us sharing one room. Turns out the crib was more of a distraction to Emma, than what we were. We were given one of those white metal ones, so Emma just loved hitting the bars. She would give out her weak cry every now and again, obviously telling us she wasn’t happy there, so eventually I put her in the bed with Rod and I, and she fell asleep shortly after. She managed to sleep right through till her normal 6:30am and actually managed to go back to sleep shortly after her first morning feed for a further 2 hours. She never does this at home. I think the dark curtains really helped.
The first night she slept with us, and then the following with Shan. Em’s reaction in the morning after seeing where she was, was that of amazement each time, like wow I’m sleeping with everyone and in a big bed.

Isle of Palm


Back at home we’ve slipped back pretty easily into our usual routine. Yesterday morning upon waking in her own room, her head was all over the show, bending backward to see every corner of her room. It was as though she’d never seen her own room. I guess it’s good to be home.

Our American Girl

We took so many photos, the ones posted here, are just a few of my favourite. You can view the rest of our phtoos here.

No comments:

Post a Comment