Rod's work schedule has been super crazy, we've only had him home for the weekends since May. Every week he has had flight delays, so it's late nights returning home, early morning wake ups when Emma comes to our room, and then it's non stop, as all Emma wants to do is play with her daddy the entire weekend and things like mowing the lawn needs to be taken care of. Then to leave on Monday again at the crack of dawn....no rest!! As for me it's also on the go 24/7, if it's not the girls, its the house....so as you can imagine we were really looking forward to this long weekend away, time to do nothing but sit by the pool or at the beach and just enjoy our family time. Funny how easy things seem when you run everything through your mind. But between naps, meals and bedtime for the girls it still feels as busy as if we were at home, at least I didn't have to cook though!
Myrtle Beach is about 3 hours away, we left on Emma's birthday. We intended leaving around 5:30/6pm after Rod's work was done and having an early dinner. But things got pushed out, after skype calls from the family to wish Emma Happy Birthday, eating dinner, bathing kids, blowing candles for Emma's bday and packing all the last minute things, we finally left at 7:30/8, after turning around and having to go back home for something we forgot - will that ever not happen?
Addi slept all the way to Myrtle, but Emma was way too excited, she stayed awake until about 20 minutes before arriving. When we got to the hotel the kids got their second wind and were wide awake, both jumping around and laughing. Tough to settle them down and get them to sleep, poor Addi was probably confused as to what the time was....finally around 12 or 1 Addi settled down and slept, but Emma did not sleep until 2am! Always so exciting to be on holiday - I think she takes after me that way, I get way too excited when I go on vacation.
So in Rod's mind what he had envisioned for this trip was to sleep in late, swim with Emma the entire day and just hang out with her. He got to do the swimming and hanging out part. We were hoping on a miracle that the kids would fall into vacation mode and their clocks would set to wake around 8am (in my mind I'm thinking please let those darkening curtains work!) but of course that would be too good to be true.....our wake ups were at 7am, which wasn't too bad, gave us an early start and the chance to enjoy more of the day! In my mind I envisioned sitting by the pool watching Emma and Rod, catching up on my tan and maybe a magazine, holding Addison who would sit ever so still next to me watching her sister and daddy swim. Instead I got more of a room tan than a sun tan Addi needs her crib when it comes to sleep, although on the last day I managed to nap her in the Ergo carrier while walking along the beach - to have the life of Addison - nothing better than falling asleep to the sounds of the ocean and be carried. All reading material was forgotten at home. And as for Addison sitting still, hmm I forget we're not talking about Emma here, we're lucky if our little monkey can sit still for 5 seconds....she was using MY babyrolls as leverage to climb to who knows where - my head, the table behind me, the chair back..... pulling at my bathing suit and getting so excited watching her sister swim. The pool water was pretty cold more so for me than Addi, so we just hung outside of the pool for the most part.
Emma loved the pool, thats where she wanted to be all the time! When we asked her if she wanted to go to the beach, she'd say no. Because Rod and I wanted to walk on the beach she was forced to, silly girl went from, " I love Myrtle Beach!" to "I don't like Myrtle Beach!" in less than a second! And the facial expression as her feet touched the sand - with shoes on mind you - was as if we were dragging her through sludge. Thankfully she can tolerate the solid sand where it's wet.
![]() |
| washing off the sand that never got on her feet |
Our days would consist of early morning walks and breakfast on the beach, Emma swimming with dad while I napped Addi in the room, finding a nice spot for lunch, afternoon naps, more swimming, dinner, more swimming then sleep. With the girls we were forced for an earlier bed time which was a good thing and Rod and I managed to fit in a nap which we wouldn't usually get, so overall is was pretty restful although really busy with the girls on the go during their wake time and Addison isn't even walking yet! We had one day of rain, which was a bummer as we really could not do anything - everything is outdoors in Myrtle, I think we ended up eating most of the day trying the local food....
Overall a wonderful family getaway. We had such a fun time, Emma didn't want to go home, kept saying, "I don't want to go home, I want to stay at the hotel". We eventually had to tell her we had no more money and the lady at the hotel told us we had to leave. :) Everything with Emma these days is, "But I want to Mom!", or "I have to Mom!"
Holidays are never long enough! But it's always good to come home to your bed and to eat more healthy. After all the fried foods on offer, our bodies were craving vegetables when we got home.
Can't believe our Summer is almost over, can already feel it's not as hot, and the sun is rising a little later and setting a bit earlier. Summer sure whizzed by!
![]() |
| Smiley Addi |
![]() |
| Emma and Daddy feeding the ducks and fish |
![]() |
| My two girls! |
![]() |
| I love this little munchkin! |
![]() |
| YES! to breakfast on the beach! |

















No comments:
Post a Comment