Saturday, September 24, 2011
25 Months
Another month gone by....Emma is 25 months now.
I'm almost thinking I should give up on the monthly updates, as I think all I'll be talking about is how much Emma is growing, becoming more and more independant, expressive, talkative....
I'm really loving this age now, it's like we've really formed this mother/daugther bond - sounds weird, but it's true. Emma will now ask for hugs, or just come up to me and place her head on my shoulder, or tummy, sometimes wrap her arms around my neck. She's now starting to call me "mommy". Funny how is started off with Ma, then Mama, now Mommy. Rod has also noticed that he feels more loved by Emma and has some purpose to her life. haha
There is no more walking for Emma, it's all about running lately, skipping, hopping. Em has a new friend from across the road, Madelyn, she's almost 3, and Em just loves watching her and copying everything she does. They have a ball together, Emma cannot wait till she sees her next. It's kind of crazy how quick Em will catch onto the bad habits - I guess it's bound to happen eventually. It's funny how you think, I've taught my child to never do things like that, and then there she is learning from someone else. The two girls were drawing with chalk on our driveway, our garage has now become the driveway with their artwork on the floor and walls. Then Madelyn decided to draw/color her legs, and there's Emma doing exactly the same. Guess you can only control so much and they're just being kids.
With all the running and skipping and hopping, Em works up quite an appetite. So sweet when I tell her it's lunch time or dinner time, she'll come running to the table saying, "Emma Eat, Emma hungry" and get comfortable in her chair, waiting for her food. Such a great feeling too, seeing your child actually enjoy your meal and ask for another mouthful after her first. It's become soooo much easier having Emma eat what we eat now...and if I make sometihng that I don't think she'll like and give her something else, she'll want to try what we're eating. Hesitant to take that first bite, she'll just put her lips to the food, taste it and if it appeals will open her mouth wide. I can see she does not trust me fully, I've probably tried one to many times to force things into her mouth!!
Sweets and treats are a big thing with Emma right now. Every now and again, if she's been really good, ate all her food, made a pee or poop on the potty, we reward with some treats. This poor girl gets so excited about it, you'd swear it were Christmas or her birthday. We've been to the mall once to have some haagen daaz, now each time we walk past, Emma will shout, "ice cream, Emma want ice cream". I'm glad to say that even tho we don't get it for her, even after asking so nicely, she won't throw a tantrum or keep asking. Times like that I think, we have it too easy with Emma. What will Baby #2 bring??
Em caught a bit of a cold the other day and thought I'd give her some apple juice to make sure she drinks her liquids. So we're sitting in the car and I ask her to drink some water, Emma doesn't take a sip, I ask her again and nothing. Eventually I tell her, take a sip Emma, maybe there's a surprise inside. she looks at me confused and lifts her cup....I tell her to take a sip and try it, again she looks at me...then says, "apple juice?"
So I said to try and see, again the happiest girl in the world, because she gets to drink apple juice.
Like identifying the ice cream stand at the mall, Emma will mention things like, Mama driving on the highway or big truck infront of us, lots of cars infront of us, bulldozers digging sand, man sitting in bulldozer. Emma will point out the obvious and it's so great to hear her string more and more words together. We've been looking at photos from our Hong Kong trip in December 2010, we've looked at them so many times, she thinks that her Ma Ma and Yeh Yeh live in Disneyland. There is also one photo of Yeh Yeh sticking a Tinkerbell sticker on her t shirt, so this morning when I put that particular tshirt on, I asked if she remembered this shirt, and she replied with "Tinkerbell sticker", I then asked "who stuck it on your shirt?", she replied, "Yeh Yeh", then I asked where were we?, Emma, "Disneyland", and my final question was "which Disneyland?", she said, "Hong Kong". Obviously when I tried to repeat the conversation with Ma Ma and Yeh Yeh on skype, it didn't go as smoothly.
As of yesterday Emma can count to 4, and today to 5....before it was always, 9, 10, 9, 10....now she's finally getting the hang of it. Normally when Emma does not listen, I'll say something like "Emma I'm going to count to 5, and if you don't come over and change your diaper then we can't go for our walk." or whatever threat I need to use. Then when I start to count, Emma will lift her fingers and start pointing to each finger as I count. She takes all the seriousness out of it!! Most times she'll then listen, just funny how she'll stop doing what she's doing and starting counting and pointing to her fingers. "Oh this child!!"
Then reading...a few times I've caught Emma in her room "reading" her books. She knows quite a few of her books, but the Dr Suess ones she knows pretty well. So the one day I see her paging thru her books and memorizing a few words from the story. Just such a sweet moment to watch. You think, all my reading has not been done in vain. Same with songs, I was cooking dinner the other night and she's sitting at the table waiting for her meal, and I hear her singing something, very quietly. I listen hard and try make out what she's singing. I finally figured it was "you are my sunshine", so when I started singing, she looked up at me and just gave his huge smile - big enough to melt my heart. Emma will read, sing and repeat things back in whispers.
So much is said and done with this little one, it's quite amazing. I try keep a journal of all the things she's done but with the lack of energy by the end of the day, I keep saying I'll write tomorrow and then a week later, I'm trying to remember everything, and obviously I've forgotten some things.
Rod has been travelling back and forth to Columbus for work, gone during the week and home for the weekend. Rod's sister, Sharon is visiting this weekend and arrives tomorrow. So I asked Emma this morning, "Do you know who's visitng you this weekend?" Emma said, "Dada! Dada come play with Emma"
I had to laugh that she thinks dad is visiting, which is partly true, as he is likely to travel again next week.
Oh the cuteness.
Baby sister is 34 weeks tomorrow....and lately I've been feeling really excited about her arrival. I cannot wait to meet her. Em doesn't talk much about baby sister, but she knows she's in mommy's tummy and occassionally give her hugs and kisses. I think though she's more fascinated by my belly button. At times Em will be rough and push my tummy or accidently squash. When I say, "becareful Emma", she'll say, "so so baby sister", thats, sorry baby sister and give a little kiss.
I've been blessed that this pregnancy has been really smooth, I haven't even felt the backache and other aches and pains as much as I did with Emma (besides by the pelvic area, when I lie down too long, or roll over too quick) - guess I don't have time to think of all the aches and pain with Emma keeping me on my toes.
Before I know it another month will pass, and I'll be close to popping, crazy to think. Right now just trying to keep the energy levels up and keeping up with my little Emma. Even tho I'm run off my feet by the end of the day, esp when Rod is out of town, I just love watching Emma enjoy being a kid, absorbing everything said and done around her, and being fascinated by the little things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment