Tuesday, December 22, 2009
4 Months
We just got back from Emma's 4 month well visit. My stomach always knots up as we make our way to the Dr, knowing she's going to get her next set of injections. It breaks your heart seeing your little one all smiles one minute and the next screaming her head off, and face all red with tears streaming down. With the help of some Tylenol it soothes her down and knocks her out so she can get a good rest after.
Besides that Emma is doing really good, she's now weighing 14,5lbs (6.5kgs), head circumfrance is 41" (at 2 months it was 38" hopefully all brain, :p), and her height is 24" (she has grown 2" since her last visit).
For height and weight she's in the 75th percentile...that doesn't necessarily mean she's going to be tall, it all changes in these early months, later it all depends on genetics.
What has Emma been doing lately?? She's talking a lot more, she seems to have discovered her voice and makes various pitch noises, she mainly likes to squeal now. Even her cries are higher pitched, it hurts our ears when she has her inconsolable moments (this is mostly at bedtime or when she's faced with strangers, especially more than one person at a time).
I think I need to get her out more, so she's not so traumatized when she sees new faces.
Emma has discovered her thumb and we find her sucking on it pretty often. We're hoping it's just a phase that she'll grow out of quickly. Emma is still using the pacifier that she got at the hospital, I've tried to change it to the next one up, but it's pretty hard compared to the first one, our Dr mentioned that it's not a bad thing...keeping her on the first one may help, as she may outgrow it and no longer want it, so we'll see.
We have this rocker for Emma with dangling toys, we've always had to bring her hand to the one toy (Lily Ladybug), which if you tug at it, it plays "If you're happy and you know it", yesterday morning I placed her in the swing and she tugged at it a few times and since then does it each time she sits in her chair, such a clever girl.
Every morning is the highlight of our day. We'll say "Good Morning Emma" and she'll search for us, when she sees us, she's all smiles and squeals, that's got to be the best feeling.
A week ago Emma went on her first plane trip. Rod had a meeting in Orlando which coincided with Rod's folks visit to Orlando. It was a last minute decision to surprise them. I wasn't too keen to make this trip for just a 2 day visit, but the plane ride turned out better than expected, Emma had her niggly moments, but for the most part was easily entertained by her mom and dad. And seeing the reaction on Rod's Mom and Dad's face made the trip worthwhile, such proud grandparents.
I packed way too much clothes for her, I was expecting blow outs and spit ups, I got laughed at, at how much I packed for just 2 days. I thought I'd rather have too much than too little.
We were lucky that the entire trip emma slept right through the nights, even after a whole day at Universal Studios with very little sleep she slept like a log, again expecting the worst that night as they always say sleep brings on more sleep, and she had no sleep that day.
When Emma woke up in her nursery the morning after we got back home, she was squealing with delight, almost to say, "Mom it's so good to be home", talking to her paintings in her room and smiling.
Since our return home Emma has been getting 10 - 11 hours of sleep a night. It's such a pleasure, although now we have to make an effort to get to bed early to make use of her sleep time, always so much to do around the house though.
We have the choice of starting Emma on rice cereal now, I half want to and not. Can't believe our baby can start eating now. Most likely I'll wait for the family to arrive so they can all be part of the "first taste of cereal".
Thats about it really, now we get to work on the next set of milestones, rolling over, gaining the concept of eating....fun times ahead. Looking forward to it all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment